Generally, microwaves do not have a lifespan of more than ten years. They can last between 5-10 years, according to how people use it daily. Anything which is used roughly will hardly last for a long time, and the same goes for microwaves.
They have a pretty strong build, but they need your love and attention just like anything else in your house. If you want your microwave to stay in a paramount condition, then several measures will have to be taken in advance.
There are plenty of people out there who do not have proper knowledge about the maintenance of home appliances. This is mainly because they never paid much attention to it or just did not care at all. Whatever the reason may be, one thing is certain –the hefty price of kitchen appliances. Yes, kitchen and other home appliances have a long-term purpose, and they usually cost an arm and a leg. Such appliances are more like an investment you make for the betterment of your future. This is why and how you use them to have a great impact on their wellbeing.
There is nothing wrong with admitting that you care about the things you have bought for your home. No matter how much it would have cost you, it is important to take full care of every single home appliance. Certain households still might be using the same old microwave they bought ten years ago. Well, nothing is shocking about it as many people take good care of their appliances. With the help of proper love and maintenance, appliances can last for a lifetime! However, it does require hard work and a little bit of dedication. It will be nearly impossible to let the microwave live for a lifetime without these elements.
Now, it is your responsibility to ensure nothing bad happens to your microwaves, especially if you have bought it with your own money. Keep reading if you want to know how to keep your precious microwave in paramount condition.
Deep Cleaning is a Must!
The very first step to take optimal care of your microwave is to clean it properly. So pick a day when you do not have much work to do, and start the deep cleansing of your microwave. This is best for those microwaves which have spilled food inside them. Normally, the food that falls sticks to the surface and it can be tricky to take it off. The best way to deep clean your microwave will be through a steam wash. This method is most suitable for the microwave as no harsh chemicals are used during the process. The steps to do this are simple and easy. Let us check them out:
- Firstly, pour 2 cups of water in a bowl and add around four tablespoons of vinegar in it.
- To prevent the water from boiling, place a toothpick in the bowl.
- Now, put the bowl in the microwave and turn it on for five minutes.
- Let it stay in the microwave for approximately 4 minutes.
- Take out the bowl carefully and try not to spill any warm water.
- With the help of a sponge, wipe the microwave properly.
Through this simple step, your microwave will be germ-free and stainless until its next deep wash.
2. Frequent Maintenance of Microwave
Always remember that there are other methods as well to keep your microwave in tip-top condition. Deep cleaning is just one of the methods, which makes it easier to implement some after-care measures. To keep the microwave in a good state, some steps should be taken after the deep cleaning process ends. These steps work for everyone as anybody can do this at home. Let us find out these tips and tricks for your microwave’s maintenance.
- If you are going to warm something that could spill or splatter everywhere, then always opt for a plastic food cover (microwave friendly) or a clean paper towel. This will help in preventing the food from spilling inside the microwave.
- If you are warming up a liquid that can boil and spill in the microwave, then try placing a cover on top of the bowl and place the bowl on a plate. If the liquid boils over, it will stay in the plate and not spill directly in the microwave. Just try to carefully remove the plate from the microwave and wash it later in the basin.
- You can also use wipes to clean off any food spills that happened by mistake. Wet wipes help in cleaning the microwave within a matter of seconds. However, do this when the microwave is still a little warm, not too warm, or you will burn your hands.
3. No More Damage to the Door
The most ignored part of the microwave is its door. People would slam it shut or open it before turning off the microwave which can cause permanent damage to it. Mostly, microwave doors get unaligned and out of shape after constant mishandling. There are interlocking switches on the door that helps in opening and closing the microwave door.
These switches turn off the microwave as soon as you open the door, and without it, the door will have no specific purpose. This is why it is important to be patient with the microwave door. Try to gently open and close it while using it and wait for the microwave to stop. If the door stays in place, the microwave will automatically function better with time.
4. Take Advantage of the Microwave Warranty Cards
If you still have the warranty card with you, then try to take advantage of it. If you want to have a full-blown maintenance service of your microwave, you can always call in a sales representative. Warranties are super beneficial at needy times where a professional can repair your microwave within seconds.
You can also consult them for different guidelines to follow for your microwave’s future maintenance and cleaning. They will surely let you know what is wrong with your microwave and how to make it perform better.
5. Do Not Run Your Microwave Uselessly
Something basic like this should not be even mentioned here, but it is necessary to discuss it at least once. Using microwaves when there is no liquid or food inside, it can be an immature thing to do. Try to only run your microwave when there is a specific purpose behind it, or it will lose its quality. Also, when people turn it on uselessly, the electromagnetic waves inside it find nothing to absorb in and they absorb in themselves.
This can damage the whole microwave, which is why it should not be used without a purpose. Try to use pre-set buttons to warm food and signal the microwave in advance about the type of food you will be warming up.
Another important thing to remember is the type of material you can use in a microwave. For instance, plastic, microwave-friendly dishware, glass, and ceramic. Also, do not use any type of material you are not sure about. With the help of the tips and tricks mentioned above, anybody can take good care of their microwave. Now that you know about them, why not go and clean your microwave right away?